Our aim is to ensure that by the time children leave Year 2 they are confident readers and genuinely love reading and being read to. We read in all subjects across the curriculum and ensure children hear quality texts daily.
We believe that confident readers;
- Have excellent phonic knowledge and the skills needed to decode new words
- Are fluent and accurate when reading in a range of contexts across the curriculum
- Develop a rich, ever expanding vocabulary
- Understand and comprehend texts accurately
- Are motivated to read both for learning and for pleasure
- Demonstrate a wide knowledge due to the rich and varied range of texts they have experienced.
We believe phonics are the building blocks that every child must master in order to become a confident reader.
We take a structured approach to the teaching of reading and pupils are taught phonics daily through the Read Write Inc Scheme. Please see below for more information.
Phonics Screening Check
The phonics screening check is taken individually by all children in Year 1 and some children in Year 2 in England. It is usually taken in June. It is designed to give teachers and parents information on how your child is progressing in phonics. It will help to identify whether your child needs additional support at this stage so that they do not fall behind in this vital early reading skill. We approach this test as part of our routine assessment with pupils. We do not make a big issue of it. Staff will tell you about the Phonic Screening Test during the annual welcome meeting.